Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Now that deserves a high-five

Work by Daniel Pipkin (written in 10 minutes for English class)

Short Sentences.

I approach the professor's office nervously prepared. Last night I fell asleep studying, so the information is there, but I'm tired. It's also a first time for me. I've never tried to test out of a math class I hadn't taken before. I eagerly turn over the paper, hesitating. First question. Not on the pretest. Sum of? Panic. Let's try. No. I can figure this out. Breathe. Well, next question? Oh no. What the? Must be the wrong test. Ask the professor? No. First page. Right test. Ok. Take it easy. You don't have to pass this. Just do your best.


Long sentences.

The more I learn about the world, the more beautiful it becomes. Here we have a tree, a tree that started from a seed smaller than a grape, encoded with instructions to organize the dirt, water, and air around it to grow into a structure taller than three houses, evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to capture light coming from the sun millions of miles away where gravity forces atoms so close together that they explode like an atomic bomb using the same process that produced the billion year old elements that make up the molecules inside of a seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment